The architecture of The Belnord was the result of a creative collaboration between pioneering and renowned architects Hiss and Weekes, and George Fuller Builders. Upon its completion in 1908, The Belnord was advertised as the largest luxury elevator apartment building in the country. The New York Times touted it as a “mammoth apartment house.”
The intent of the builders was to entice people of means away from single-family brownstone dwellings into a more efficient form of living. The Belnord was one of the first apartment buildings designed to bring luxury accommodations to the urban portions of the city.